Monday, May 26, 2008

My Cinderella - Megan

Last Sat, my Cinderella, my Princess turned 6. How time flies. Sally and I did up a powerpoint about Megan (we're trying to put up the powerpoint with the music - still trying to figure how to do it. Once we've figured it out, we'll post it up).

Apparently I started with an intro that Sally liked very much. I said: "6 years ago, we almost lost Megan."
It is true that 6 years ago, we almost lost Meg. And by God's grace, she was saved, protected in the womb and the pregnancy came to full term. I cannot imagine our lives without her. As I watched her on Sat at her party, I cannot help but to thank God - whispering under my breath, thank You Abba Father for giving me this Cinderella. She was everything that we had every wanted or imagined.

This last week, Sal and I also came to know that Steven Curtis Chapman's little daughter Maria Sue Chapman, 5 years old, passed away on 21st May in an unfortunate accident. While we celebrated Megan's birthday, I guess both of us were saddened by the loss. And it just reinforced the reality of the brevity of life - one can never know what will happen tomorrow, or the very next minute. For the Chapmans, they went from an engagement celebration just hours before the unfortunate incident, to preparation to bury a 5 year old daughter whom they adopted from China.


SCC penned a song called Cinderella, to help him not lose sight of the special moments we have with our love ones, which we might have rushed by. According to SCC in a video on YouTube, the song was inspired by a bath time. Steven was tired, frustrated and tried to get his 2 girls (Maria and her sister) to have a quick bath but there were not exactly cooperating. But after the saga, Steven came out and saw Emily (his eldest daughter) and he had a revelation, that he (we) needs to treasure those special moments because very soon, the girls will be out of his arms. At the stroke of midnight, they're going to disappear.


I guess all Dads will feel that way about their little girls (not that boys are not important. Joseph has a very very special place in my heart. You should see me getting rough and tumbling around the floor with him - even at Agapeland. haha). But girls... God made girls for daddys to pamper, love and protect.

And I know this is a lesson for me because lately I've been reviewing my life (have been doing tons of reflections, tons of praying, seeking God for my family and my life) and feel that I've been rushing around - from 1 to another. And I need to learn to take a step back and enjoy every moment, every special moment with Sally and my kids. Even when the kids are out of sorts, not cooperating, when I'm tired/frustrated, when the kids dripped choc milk on the floor and I'd have to clean it, forgetting her hair pin, etc. Whatever!

I'm going to take a deep breath and ask myself - are they hurt? Any big gash with rivers of blood flowing? If no, then look at them and smile and say it's ok sweetheart, it's ok my sonny son-son. I've done that several times and you can see the smile breaking out on their faces, especially when they're expecting you to be annoyed and get upset at them. Enjoy the kids! Enjoy enjoy enjoy the kids!
So here are the lyrics to the song. Enjoy the song as you watch the video:

Cinderella

She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders

It's been a long day
And there's still work to do
She's pulling at me
Saying "Dad, I need you

There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She will be gone

Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowing and telling us all they had planned
She says, "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
But I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

So, I dedicate this post to my very special 6 year old Cinderella, Megan - I don't ever want to miss even 1 song. I love you my princess and happy birthday!

My Daddy checking out.

No comments:

 
web tracking