Friday, May 09, 2008

Thanks Jo for the idea of the RUBBISH BOX!


There's something about Parenting that is constant. We have to constantly alter our methods and ways as our children grow in understanding, in height, size and excuses. haha...

It's great that we have been blessed with frens in this parenting journey. We share feelings, exchange ideas, rejoice when their kids achieve something, cry with them when their children give them heartaches. I'm ever thankful for these frens.

Recently, my buddy Jo shared with us something she did in her home. It worked for her two kids. Alan and I think it might work with ours too. We coined it "The Rubbish Box". This is how we explained to Meg and Joejoe:

- Whatever toys we see around the house that are not in their right places, will be placed in the Rubbish Box.
- It is their responsibility to check the Rubbish Box everyday.
- Any toys not redeemed from the Box within 48 hours will be placed in the green recycling bags for children who do not have toys.

Easy enough. And it's been working! Alan and I will drop items into the Box and after awhile, we will hear them saying:

"Joejoe, your dinosaur is in the Rubbish Box! Quicky, go get it!"
"Zeze, I saw Gracie (her doll) inside the Rubbish Box! You don't want her already??"

Sometimes the 48hr timeline is almost up and we know that one of his beloved sports car is inside, or one of her books have been boxed. We will drop loud hints like:
"Hey Dear, just now when I walked past the Rubbish Box, I thought I saw something yellow with wheels!"
And we'll see them running to the Box and redeeming what belongs to them.
So far, no casualty in the recycling bag yet. :P

Dunno how long this method will work, but hopefully for a long time! Cos it's a great feeling to not see idle toys all around the house and we don't have to nag at them anymore! :)

2 comments:

Emma's Daddy said...

what an ingenius idea!!!! =)

Noe said...

Oh yeah! We should do something like this soon too. Thanks for the tip! =)

 
web tracking