Our little girl turned 6 two weeks ago!
This year, we wanted a "STAR" theme for her parties (one in school and one with our friends and family). So I got ambitious. Wanted to bake her a cake in the shape of a STAR. It was not that difficult, conceptually - that is. Cut a cake into a five sided shape, then cut 5 smaller triangles and fit them onto the bigger shape. EASY right? NO!!!
I baked two butter cakes. One for the main body, and another for the triangles. Sliced them cross-section, spread cream and generously laced longan pieces on it (she loves longans). Cut the 5 sides of the 1st cake. Then cut the other cake into smaller triangles. What I didn't expect was that homemade cakes have this dome -like shape. I presume bakeries shave off the peak of the dome so that there is a flat surface for spreading the icing. It didn't occur to me to do that!!! I had so much difficulties fitting the smaller triangles one! ARGH.
I must thank Bee Lee for the wonderful choc icing recipe. It's so easy to do and so creamy and thick and yummy!!! Once again, I conceptualised that I could easily use this icing to "stick" all the pieces together. Nope, didn't happen! What is left is an odd-shaped cake, with uneven sides. :(
I tried to cover the uneven-ness with smarties, honey-stars and those small colourful stars we bought to decorate the cake with. And here's the final result.
I'd told Alan that the cake CMI (can't make it) and I wanted to buy another one for her school party the next day. But the birthday gal loved it (and that's b4 she even tasted it!) and didn't want another cake. So I gamely brought it to her school party and prayed her classmates won't laugh at Megan for having a funny looking cake. Altho Joejoe did offer to kick anyone's backside if they "laughed at mommy's cake". haha.
As it turned out, the cake tastes better than it looks! All the kids in Meg's class had two servings, ooohed and ahhed at the choc icing, the smarties, the longans and the honey stars! :) My little gal had the biggest million-dollar grin when we were singing the birthday song - and I had big fat tears at the edge of my eyes, trying their very best not to drip out..jpg)

And you know what's really the "icing on the cake" in this instance? Meg told me on the following monday, that it was the day they get to write journals (usually about the weekend they had). And all her friends wrote about Meg's party and her unusual and yummy cake! hee.
So there you go. My STAR birthday cake for my little STAR. :).jpg)
Broadway Musical MaMa Mia! is in Singapore
2 years ago
1 comment:
Oooh! The cake looked great despite the uneven parts you told me leh! No wonder the children went goo-goo-gaa-gaa over it.
Great job done, Sal!
Post a Comment