I've never had a maid/helper before. It wasn't only till last year, when I was coping with working part-time, being pregnant and looking after Meg and Joe that I decided to engage the help of a part-time helper who came once a week. With XQ around, it already took Alan and I a preeeeety long time to get used to her... I dunno why, but we felt a tad pai-seh to get someone to clean up our mess and scrub our toilets. We felt bad and on certain days, we dreaded her coming. haha... weird thinking huh.
We've finally gotten used to seeing her once a week, we've also gotten alot more acquainted with her. She and I talk very well, about kids, about school, about our hometowns. And now, we've got to let her go cos we realised that the needs of our lifestyle at the moment requires something more than just weekly heavy-duty scrubbing around the house.
So, in comes Wanti. Our Indonesian helper who's arrived for three weeks now. I find myself going through the same process of dreading her arrival, feeling pai-seh. And in addition, because she is s stay-in helper, we've got to arrange her sleeping and other living arrangements. I asked quite a number of friends for tips of living and interacting with their domestic helpers. Not that I think I will end up abusing her (!), but I just wanna make life pleasant mutually. I also needed to understand the boundaries to draw, so that I don't become an "ATM" employer.
The first few days of her arrival, I was so not used to having a stranger around the house that when she called me "Mom", I had actually unknowingly ignored her. OOPS. There were some habits to undo - as she had worked for my in-laws for the last 7 years. The good thing is that Meg and Joe know her and can communicate with her, so that was one big obstacle out of the way.
Alan has to be appropriately dressed at home now, haha. We have to make sure there's always a loaf of bread in the breadbox for breakfast. And because Wanti's a Muslim, I ought to be more culturally sensitive when I bring her out for meals and when I need her to cook a pork dish.
I'm still feeling pressured that I am now responsible for another human being. Like when I go out in the afternoons, I need to make sure she has food to cook for her own lunch and she can expect me home by what time. Alan has had to go to the supermart at night to buy groceries so that Wanti will have fresh produce to cook the next few days. We can't just do a "Nothing in fridge, let's go out and gao tim" anymore.
Looking on the brighter side.
My to-be-ironed laundry pile has not been so thoroughly clear for awhile now. We have been eating homecooked lunches and dinners and therefore have alot more time with the kids and with each other. I don't have to worry about whether the kids' uniforms are washed and ironed in time. My hubby and kids have breakfast laid out for them the moment they finish washing up every morning.
It's a case of give and take, I suppose. As much as I am trying to get used to her accent, I'm sure she's trying to get used to mine as well. Not to mention living habits, eating habits, etc.
We will only be having her till July - she is meant to help me through this transition period as we prepare for Evangeline's arrival. In July, she'll be transferred back to my in-laws, her rightful employers. :) Alan thinks I will be so used to having a helper around by then that I will not be able to live without one.
We'll see. :)
Broadway Musical MaMa Mia! is in Singapore
2 years ago
1 comment:
an extra pair of hands is always welcomed!
I'm looking forward to you doing a post in July on how you chose a helper for yourself! hehe... :) quite sure you'll be so used to having her around, you'd want to employ one permanently!
Enjoy now! it's a blessing!
Post a Comment