Today's the 3rd day Megan's wearing her glasses. And we are now less anxious about whether she can get used to them, whether she will be teased by her friends and also if she'll remember how to take care of them.
The first day she came home from school, she happily announced to us that everyone in her class still recognised her! Then it dawned unto us that perhaps this was one of the fears she had about wearing glasses. Only boy commented that she looked funny. Another boy told her that he's gonna get his mommy to get him power rangers glasses. haha... kids are kids...
Sometimes they say the most hurting things. Other times only they can provide the acceptance that will make Megan at ease with her new look.
Thank God the teachers have been very nice and understanding about this. Helping her along in maintaining and caring for both her eyes and her glasses.
I am risking to be called the most kiasu mom in the whole wide world.
I emailed practically everyone we know to tell them about Meg's condition. From her school teachers, our church friends, her DiscoveryLand (sunday school) teachers, to her art class teachers. I don't care, you can call me the most kiasu mom on earth. All I wanna do is to protect her the best way I know how...
A dear friend emailed in response that parents of special needs kids are the strongest in her opinion. That is so true. Imagine having to endure stares of people that judge their darlings in a even harsher way than if they were to say something. The kids may not understand they were being stared at. By as parents, we do. And sometimes, it really takes all the strength and self-control we can garner not to lash out at these people. Because they have just hurt our kids with a look.
Through this one week, since we've gotten to know about Megan's eye condition, I've learnt a few things. The most important one is what I learnt from Alan. Seeing how much I was crying over the news, he told me this, "If we teach Megan that God made her special, how can we not believe it?" How true. That hit me like a tonne of bricks. And I'm resolved to not see her any differently. She is my Megan - my pearl of great price, then and now. She is special to me, and will always be, with or without glasses.
Megan herself also taught me a few things. She took comfort in knowing that she didn't "spoil" her eyes (like daddy and mommy did!). Because she had been careful not to read in the dark or read lying down. And so she told me (also seeing what a "humbao" I've become), "Don't be sad Mommy. I didn't spoil my eyes! God just decided to make me a little different."
:)
She humbles me with her understanding of God & His purposes.
This understanding that seems to be beyond a 4 year old... and sometimes beyond even her own mommy.
Broadway Musical MaMa Mia! is in Singapore
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment