Friday, September 08, 2006

Till Death Do Us Part

Today as I was driving back after meeting a sponsor, I tuned to BBC (yes I do enjoy listening to BBC :-)) and I caught a special programme, interviewing people who were impacted by the 9-11 tragedy.

And this lady recounted that dreadful day. Her husband was on the 105th floor (think I heard her correctly). He called her and spoke with her. She knew he was not coming back. Then she heard a loud sound, a crack and then the phone went dead. (the tower came tumbling down).

This lady met her husband and knew him for 34 years (since she was 16 years old).

And the BBC journalist asked her - how is she going to live her life after this?

She said that she will honour her husband by continuing to live a fruitful life, and she said something very powerful - she said that it is entirely possible to be married (or stay married - with one partner) till death do us part.

I was blown away.

The stats for divorce (if I recall correctly) is about 1 in 3 in Singapore. For those who are married, till death do us part is not an impossibility.

As my wonderful wife will say - I'm not asking you to stay in marriage. I'm asking you to stay in love. What a powerful statement. If husband and wife continue to stay in love, romancing each other, they will naturally stay in marriage.

So... till death do us part - not a myth, not an impossibility.

No comments:

 
web tracking