9th September marks the 10th Year Anniversary of the love Alan and I share.
I was thinking about us. And I thought about the persons we were then, and who we've become. Amazing.
We were a pretty unlikely couple, at least in most people's eyes. He was talented in so many ways! It was almost like he belonged to the stage. Put an instrument in his hands, he can play something melodious. He is a biz grad. He can't understand most the chinese language which I love. He watched all the Bond, Indiana Jones movies and listened to all the 80s pop and classical music. His family was worlds apart from mine. His mother never looked after him in his growing up years cos she worked. And he is so good looking.
I can't play a single musical instrument. I can sing, but it'll take me many many practices to learn how to harmonise a song, and I'll still forget. The stage gives me the creeps. I am a Social Work grad. I love to use chinese idioms to shorten what I would otherwise need to explain in 2 long English sentences. I dwell in the magical ambience of XinYao and Chinese songs and lyrics. My mom was a stay-at-home mom and was always at home with us. And I am so ordinary.
Today - He shares my love for shopping, Canto drama serials, chinese songs, cooking and baking, and he is genuinely happy doing these things. He does more than the fair share of housework. What I can do as a mother, he can do just as well (except the obvious like bfdg). He can go out with each of my family members and never run out of things to chat with them. He believes in my calling and giftings, and has more than once ask me to pursue my aspirations - assuring me that he will be ready to compliment my role at home and with the kids. He stinges on himself but never thinks twice to lavish luxuries on me and the kids. He spends time with me at nite only to work on the laptop after I fall asleep. Above all, I know he is still constantly proving to his family that I am the one.
As for me, I have perhaps watched a Bond or Indiana movie or two. I appreciate Class 95, Gold 90 from time to time. I've learnt to sing unabashedly in front of him so that I can enjoy not only the song but also the meaning of spending time together. We've discovered music we can love together - like Mike Buble, like Wang Lee Hom. We have learnt to be grateful for and grouse and laugh at each other's families. We embrace each other's new found figures, stretchmarks, wrinkles. I teach him cantonese, chinese. He shows me new horizons in people management and the things of God.
It's been a wonderful 10 years.
The other day I asked him if he ever imagined how life will be for us 10 years later when we first got attached. And he said no, and neither did I. :) But it's been great. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Broadway Musical MaMa Mia! is in Singapore
2 years ago
3 comments:
Hey Alan and Sal,
Just wanna say that the both of you have been such a great example to Jas and I as husband and wife, as parents and as fellow labourers in God's kingdom. Blessings to the both of you as you celebrate 10 years of God's faithfulness! Many more years to go!!!
Adrian & Jasmine
Hi Ad and Jas,
Thanks for your blessings, we receive them! We're not too sure what we've done to be called examples! haha.. but thank God for placing us in your paths so that we can all look out for one another! :)
oh wow, tats 1 heartwarming read...now, tats what i call a love story made in heaven :P
Post a Comment