Well... doesn't matter that the average life span of the male species has gone up to about 76 years old... I've officially transited into Half Time... I turned 35 a couple of days ago... (of course if you go by the new benchmark, I'm still into half time +/- 3 years)... haha...
How does it feel to reach half time? Well... I gotta say I still have lots of things not done in my life... things that I want to achieve. Some examples:
1. Ball room dancing with Sally
2. Travel to Europe with Sally alone
3. Go to bible school
4. Write lots of songs to glorify God and record an album for His glory... His prophesy over me by Cindy Jacobs at Indoor Stadium still haunts me... I'm constantly reminded by it... hahaha...
5. To have a last kid - a little princess that I can dote on... though I know this particular topic has caused Sally and I lots of heartache... Can or can we not? Should we or should we not? To have or not to have??.... sigh.. I struggle day and night over this...
6. I wanted to make my 1st million... I studied Economics and Finance for this... I nailed my Econs and my portfolio finance but flipped on International Finance (Indirect and direct quotes, foreign exchange and barely scrapped through derivatives, short and long calls, options etc) but alas... God has other plans... haha...
7. Maybe write a book?
What did I achieve in my 1st half of my life journey?
1. I found God and He found me again in Down Under...
2. Found a lovely wife whom I will not trade anything in this worldd for... we met in Down Under, over the wonderful series called Left Behind... at Word Bookstore at Applecross, WA. The last 7 years was heaven on earth. I can't imagine what life would be like without her. I can still remember all the things we do together - the amazing sandwiches she made for me, our love nest at Farrer Road, God's blessing with a free honeymoon to Brisbane, free wedding package, free bed frame, inherited fridge and washing machine that lasted for a good 5 years, a tv, etc. In this case, I did not achieve all of this. It was God who blessed and bestowed favour and grace adn blessing upon my life and upon Sally.
3. Married at 28 (1st April 2000 - and it's not an April Fool's Joke) and God brought my first princess when I was 30 (2002). The little prince came a year later in 2003. Whenever I look at them, I will just melt... so contented... ever so thankful for these 2 wonderful kids that God has tasked me to raise... and I'm trying my level best to raise them up according to God's way.
4. Started singing when I was in P school... joined Youth for Christ and sang solo "Welcome to the Family" at Singapore Conference Hall. Joined the choir and received further training (partly because my parents objected me to the uniformed groups - hahaha!!!)... all this, God planned so that He can use me in the worship team in Trinity Christian Centre.
5. Picked up guitar and drums... completed my grade 8 ABRSM piano... only regret - did not go all the way and complete my diploma for that. Learnt under the maestro Mr Ong Lip Tat - whom I have deep and great respect for. I really really appreciated piano/classical (pardon the generalisation) under his tutorlage. I was in a "trance" when I'm playing with him. 2 upright pianos side by side, banging and caressing the piano... attended Master classes conducted by him. Performed with all his students at a public piano recital, playing Beethoven's Pathethique Sonata! and I memorised the entire piece... that experience - priceless!
5. God planned and I joined the Civil Service for a total of about 8 years... and I still say - what a good 8 years. I learnt so much.. and on hindsight, God wanted me there, preparing me for my future. A Econs and Finance grad, posted to do Human Resource Development and Organisational Development, sent overseas to be trained as a scenario planner. Associate trainer and facilitator, training and facilitating case studies for scholars in the Civil Service. I believed I made an impact in the Civil Service and thereby, Singapore. I believe my "gift of gab" was also honed and worked at while I'm in the Civil Service, fanning my training capability. And this skill that I picked up, I'm now using it at my work, presenting proposals to potential sponsors, donors and training clients. Eg I was training a group of clients, for a marital workshop. And I was psuedo JP/officiating-solemnising minister for that 10 minutes, akin to conducting a wedding and leading them to say their vows (and many for the 1st time)... there were no dry eyes at the end. ... love it when I see reconciliation... and love it when I made them cry... haha... yes I'm nuts... but that moment was amazing.
6. Prayed and in some way, prayed my sisters into the Kingdom. They are now believers and worshipping and Grace AOG. (I still pray somehow for my parents to come to know God. But I know they are hard nuts. Only God can do it. All I can do is to pray... and also pray for Sally's parents).
7. Acted in a drama for God's glory in Life Musical, playing a guy with cancer. And played Jesus in the musical Black or White. Never heard of a plump Jesus... hahaha... but someone did say... the Bible was not explicit that Jesus was a skinny man (like in the movies)... anyway, I tried to cut back on food but ain't effective. Maybe lost 1-2 kgs. Max.
8. What else??.... hmmm... I shall stop at 7...
So what did I do on my birthday? Nothing much. Megan fell ill... vomited several times in the morning. So, we went to the doctors and stayed home the whole day. Did housework.
Did it matter that I had no big celebration? nope... I'm very domesticated now. Perfectly fine staying home with a book and a cup of coffee or just doing housework, busying myself over the house, shift some furniture, clean the place, etc. And just sit and watch my 3 babies sleep... haha.
But what really touched my heart were the brithday greetings that came from my friends, from church and from my office (they are more than just colleagues - they are friends, my family). Organised by Sally (many many thanks honey! Like I said, I cannot imagine life without you...), they sent their birthday greetings in powerpoint slides and Sal put them together to honour me and I'm very very touched by every single posting, every single comment. I really appreciate it! So, guys and gals, if you are reading, thank you very very much for making my day with the birthday greetings/wishes. My love/emotional tank is very full... :-)
How do I think my 2nd half is going to be?
I think it's going to be an adventure. It's going to be better. With Sally and the kids, my life (and the life of my family) is going to be vibrant!!! I believe I'm going to see a vibrant atmosphere in the household, with incredible unity (praying together, having fun together, eating together). I/We are going to have a greater passion for God and His business, His purpose, for His heart and I know Sal and I have purposed in our hearts to raise our kids according to God's ways, so that they can be strategic leaders of tomorrow, wherever God calls and places them. The best is yet to come. I honestly don't know what else is in stored for me but I'm so looking forward to it - the challenges, the joys, the sorrows... all of it... and I'm thankful that I have Sally to walk this journey with me...
Thank you God for saving me, for loving me, a great sinner, saved by grace and for giving me 2nd and 3rd and many many chances. I am eternally grateful, for who You are, for all that You've done and for all that You are going to do... I have only but 1 prayer - use my life for Your glory...
And the song that is and will always be in my heart, for Jesus.. is You have Been Good. It is a very personal song to me, a song that never fails (like 90% of the time) to make me cry/tear. I first heard this song through Colin Chee and after that, worked with PPeter and introduced it to the church. Sung countless times during Communion. So, let me share it with all of you.
Verse:
If I never get to see another rainbow
Or share another laugh with a friend
If I never stand barefoot by the ocean
Or get to kiss my child good night again
If I never have another prayer that's answered
Or have another blessing come my way
If this is all I know of heaven's kindness
Father, I would still have to say
Chorus:
You have been good, You have been good
I am in wonder how it could be
You have been good, You've been so good
In so many ways You've been good to me
Verse:
You have shown me mercy upon mercy
Grace upon grace, time after time
And I know all too well what I'm deserving
Yet You are still so patient and kind
Repeat Chorus
Bridge:
If suddenly it all were ended, and Your blessings disappeared
Looking back over a lifetime, the evidence is clear
Chorus...
My Daddy checking out...
Broadway Musical MaMa Mia! is in Singapore
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment