Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Playing with Daddy

Alan loves to play with Megan and Joseph. And he's really good at it. It's just pure joy to see all three of them enjoying one another's presence so unreservedly. Maybe it's not something I'd enjoyed with my own dad - he was and is a good and responsible father, but not much of a playing daddy at all. Sometimes, I think it's harder for daddies, having to balance being the head of the house, to be a fun anf doting dad, a disciplining dad, a dad who brings in the bacon, and a dad who's a good husband to mommy.

Despite the many roles and responsibilities Alan has on his plate, he makes it a point to play with the kids. And that is actually not as frivolous as it sounds. Wait till you see the sparkle in Megan's eyes when I tell her that this Sat Daddy's gonna spend the whole day with us. Or hear the number of times Joseph reminds Daddy that he has promised to read him a bedtime story that night. They simply enjoy Daddy's funny antics, sound effects, Daddy's hugs and kisses and tickles.

Yesterday after school, Megan looked upset. When we got in the car, she told us what happened. She was playing "Princess" with a few of her classmates. And when it was her turn to be Snow White, her kinda-rude classmate C told her, "No! I wanna be princess again, not you!". Child's play? Maybe. But if you look close enough, there's real hurt in her eyes. But guess what Daddy said? The sweetest thing.

"Sweetheart, you know what? As far as Daddy and Mommy are concerned, in our eyes, in our hearts, you are the only real-life Princess there is. So C can go and say all she wants to say, it doesn't make a difference. You are my Princess." That brought an instant smile to Princess' face. :)

There's something amazing about seeing the man I married morph into a Daddy. My heart is constantly touched by the little things he does for our babies. Every diaper changed, every cup of milk prepared, every bedtime story told, every tear dropped. I love him more!

Here's a little vid of Alan and little Megan playing Chopsticks, well, not really lah, he was holding her little fingers and playing with her. Apologies for having to tilt your head to watch it, I dunno how to turn it around! haha...

1 comment:

rach said...

oooh...alan's so sweet...woh, its always heartwarming to see big strong guys being around kids, u see the soft side of 'em :) he's a great dad! cool too! :)

 
web tracking