Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Our Cars

Alan and I have been driving for the last 14 years. We both enjoy driving tremendously, of course, more in Australia (where we first started taking on the roads) than here in Singapore, for obvious reasons. I love the feeling of sticking the key and turning the ignition, the feeling of driving at nite on the freeway when it's nice and cool. I love seeing the faces of our family and frens brightening up when we drive by to pick them up. :)

Alan's first car
An orange vintage BMW with a sunroof (where you have to rotate a stick with all your might to get it to open). I remember he couldn't come and pick me up for our first date cos his muffler had dropped while he was driving the day before! So I had to pick him! haha... talk about first impressions.


This is a close pic of what his looked like.
When we left Perth, we sold it "reluctantly" to a fren who is also a vintage car lover.
:) It's still with him now!



My first car

A beige Nissan Pulsar hatchback. I loved this car. Had lots and lots of memories connected to it. Many moments of encounter with God took place in this car. The first car I owned, the first punctured tyre I changed, my first indoor carwash, my first near-accident ... all took place in/with this car. In fact, not many pp know this, but I went to the Australian courts once becos I forgot to update my car rego in time - and was "caught" at a routine breathalizer test. haha... had to get out and walk home!!!




Couldn't find an image of a beige one, but apart from that, mine looked like this!






Our first car
We got our first car when I was 7 months pregnant with Megan. It was a no-frills, reliable, fuel-friendly family car. A Silver (boring colour rite???) Toyota Corolla Sedan - something you can't go wrong with. If you're like me and have the tendency to forget where you park all the time, you are in deep trouble. I reckon the most common car colour around has got to be silver, imagine combing through levels of carpark to find your silver car! Our car agent told us that if you don't want birds to poo-poo on your car that often, you should get a silver car. BUT... it's too common!!! (Sori, no offence to owners of silver cars here).









Our current/favourite car
After Joseph was born, we found our Corolla too small to have two rear children carseats in (we are firm believers of carseats, btw). So we got our current car, which we've been driving for 4.5 years now. A black Renault Scenic Megane in black. Love its height! Just tilt your bums a little and you can take a seat comfortably. We are still in love with the thoughtful features of this car. There are so many compartments in the car. Drawers under the seats, compartments stowed away under the mats at the base of the car (where we used to put spare diapers, kids clothes, etc), drinks compartment, sunnies compartment (for driver), 4 airbags, foldable tables for hind seats, and a huge boot.
The wipers go faster when the rain is heavier, and slower when you approach a traffic light. The panel of controls for the stereo is mounted on the steering wheel, so I don't have fumble around while controlling my steering wheel. It's nice and heavy to drive, I've always liked a stable, heavy steering (as compared to a light steering) cos the car doesn't tremble when we hit the expressway.

BUT, we have to sell this car. I once objected it, cos I love it! But after driving it for so long, we have been servicing more and more of its expensive parts. Its value is also sliding faster than we thought, cos in this part of the world, Jap cars are worth more when you sell. SIGH. I will miss this car!!!

And it's monthly payments are taking the toil on us. When we first committed ourselves to it, we were comfortable with the amount as Alan was still working in the civil service. Now that he's in CCSS with me, it's alot tougher. In fact, we were so shocked to hear the amount we've been paying is enough to pay for a Camry easily!!!










Our NEXT car!

After dragging out this decision for the last 1 plus year, we finally made up our minds to have our car changed. And after lots of closed doors, God opened one for us! We are getting our new car - a Black Honda Airwave!
We are so excited!!! Everything is so divine. From our car agent, the terms and conditions, the car we're getting, the freebies we are getting and even the scrap value of our Renault. It'll take another post to testify of God's goodness. Tomorrow will be our COE bidding. Please pray along with us that the bid will dip and stay low. Cos we'll get $ to $ refund. :) THANK YOU and We'll update you!




UPDATE:
We got our COE! Thanks for praying alongside us!
COE is $12,001. :)
Thank You Lord. Nothing, nothing, compares to the promise we have in You.

2 comments:

Emma's Daddy said...

hey! I also considered that car as well.. but decided not to be so "itchy"-hand since my current car's pretty new still.. :P

lemme know how's the Airwave's mileage ok? =)

~AlanSal~ said...

Hey Roy, yeah, sure! :)

 
web tracking