Monday, March 03, 2008

People who walk with their noses pointing skywards

DISCLAIMER: This post is written purely as a personal perception... you might not agree to what you're going to read. But, this is my blog afterall. :P
And yes yes, these people I'm talking about is probably just the minority. So yeah, pls don't get more worked up than me. :D


Last week I spoke to an NTU undergrad who wanted to interview me for one of her assignments. She commented that working in a church must be great. Before I could stop myself, I let out a sarcastic laugh. Another case of my emotions going ahead of my logical self. Yeah, the boon and bane of working in/for a church. On good days, it's enough to inspire me to forsake my desires and aspirations to do God's work. On other days, one episode in the lift with a pastor (to which I really have to keep reminding myself that they are really also just humans breathing the same air as I) is enough to make me feel like puking.

You'd think I'd known better. This is my 11th year working where I am. The 5 years in Lavender were great. To be apart, to be separate entities, where we, the "welfare arm" can grow in the unique way we were meant to grow. Coming back to the same roof, there's almost an invisible divide that separates them, the chosen ones (albeit self-professed only) and us. We're known as "the ccss people" or we're over on the "ccss side". What's with these lines? What happened to "incredible unity"?

Why do they think they are a caste better off than us, just because they have some theological cert backing them up? It doesn't mean their TAWG is more consistent than ours (if this is even any form of calculation!). Why do they think they have the right not to address us or use any niceties in their emails, their phonecalls when they talk to us? Isn't that basic manners? What's with the superiority? GOSH! One more minute in their presence is enough to suffocate me! When they need a ride from PL to Adam (or vice versa), they know us. Strangely, the next time we meet in the pantry, we become strangers again. Huh??!?!?

Esp the young ones, aspiring to be the next tier of church leaders. You see them always dressed up, looking smart, learned and nice. But I kid you not. I was trying to cross the carpark at Adam with my two preschoolers, holding their bags and my own. I dropped my keys at the feet of one of these future leaders of the church. Guess what she did? She flung her beautiful head of hair, looked at me without a trace of emotion on her pretty face, and then walked away. A carpark usher had to run from 3 feet away to help me to pick up my keys while I stood there in disbelief.

Church. Pastors. Ministers. Leaders.
Keep telling myself, I can't expect everyone to be like PB. But really, I don't think I am. Cos they're not even close!!!

Ok, Sally Choo, breathe. Breathe. Breathe.




2 comments:

Fi Oh Na! said...

It's like tat one la! Pastors are human too...i always believe that it's the little things we do that reveals the true state of our hearts!

My parents backslided or gave up on Christianity coz 2 leaders who fought over a leadership position in church left a very bitter taste in their mouths. Thanks2such pple ard, my parents hve stepped a step further away fr God! *sigh*

D said...

whoa..

 
web tracking