Thursday, April 17, 2008

From Kindy to Primary...

Alan and I have been getting more and more excited with the thought of our princess Megan joining P1 next year. Thank God for the open door to be able to do volunteer work in Kuo Chuan Pres Primary. The activities were a tad dreadful, but we absolutely enjoyed going to the school and interacting with the students through the 46hours. We got to watch the assemblies, the silent reading time, the Christian Ed classes too. And I must say that we are pretty impressed with what we see in most of the students. Polite, enthusiastic and happy kids - even in gym class, where they had to do their cartwheels!

We've been thinking about how Meg will look like in the uniform, or how she'll handle buying food in the canteen. We also think about how she'll get used to the idea of only going to school in the afternoon, or whether she knows how to call me on a pay-phone using a 10c coin if she needs to.

The other day, I was in school manning my booth for the school's International Friendship Day, and I had to go to the washroom. The one that was available to me without walking too far was the girls' toilet. I was shocked at a few things I saw when I went in. There were 3 sitting cubicles and 5 squatting cubicles. GOSH. Up until now, Meg has always avoided using squatting toilets. She was always worried that she'll lose her balance and drop inside. But she'll only get 30mins (I think) of recess where she'll have to queue for her food, eat it, and then queue for the 3 sitting cubicles. How??? I made a mental note to practise at home with her.

Believe it or not, I forgot which side to face when squatting (had to ask my colleagues)! And I'm gonna have to teach her how to pee and not get her clothes wet while squatting too! One more thing. The cubicles have no toilet paper! So I must remind her to take the toilet paper from outside the cubicles before going in, if not, she'll have to re-queue!!!

Last Sat we went shopping around... I came to the section that has kids school backpacks for sale. My oh my. I had no idea school backpacks are these pricey now! One of those popular ergonomic-friendly bags that promise to protect your child's little spine costs $138! I took one down from the shelf, and tried it on Meg. Trust me, I really nearly dropped it - cos it was sooo heavy! Now I understand why so many mommies and maids end up taking their children's bags! It's madness, as it is, without books, a water bottle, a pencilcase, files and what-have-yous. And when Meg carried it in all enthusiasm, she had to lean forward - a natural reaction when you're carrying something heavy on your back. Hmm... imagine if her classroom in on the 2nd/3rd/4th storey!!!

6 comments:

Emma's Daddy said...

has it really been so fast? I still remember carrying Megan when she was still a little infant (abt 6 months old)! now she's going on to Pri 1?? wow!

your experience with the school bags brings back memories for me.. still remember lugging things like dictionary (the thick one) along to school, and carrying an additional file in my hand.. and also another bundle of books strapped using those rainbow coloured straps.. and the bag's totally filled!

I guess while the bags designs have become more ergonomic, the books haven't... and their sheer weight's enough to pose a challenge to any adult, and I can't imagine kids managing the weight..

Noe said...

Oh dear ... Reading this entry just reminded me that Joe is entering Primary next year too. And I didn't really prep him for the culture-shock. =S

Hann Hann said...

Hann's Mummy said...

1. consider getting a trolley bag.

2. use toilets on other levels besides level 1 where the canteen is. Level 1 toilets are the most crowded and dirtiest

3. squat with ya butt on top of where the water is.

~AlanSal~ said...

Hi All!

Roy - Yeah, time's moving faster than we want it to! She's already K2 and is totally enjoying being in the oldest class now. :) Thank God we heard from frens who have kids attending the school that the school practises non-book teaching. So hopefully that'll take away some physical weight in her schoolbags!

Noe - Ya! Our firstborns will be embarking on a brand new journey next year!!! :) Glad to have you on this journey.

Ariel - Trolley bags are not encouraged as kids need to travel up and down the stairs. If they wheel their bags, they may slow down the line and pose a danger as they maneuvour around. And these bags are actually heavier when carried! So, no go.

Thanks for the toilet tips. :) Will let my lil girl know.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm new to your blog. My girl will be joining her jiejie in Primary next yr too.

Some advise for u, if u don't mind me kapo.
1. Forget about the sitting cubicles, train her to use the squatting instead for hygiene purpose.
2. Forget abt those exp "spine support" school bag, the kids never need them (from my experience) All their books will be kept in school, my girl only need to bring her water-bottle, diary and some pieces of homework back everyday.

On the 1st day of sch, I saw some poor kids carrying those big bags and some nearly topple over!

3. They will get their toilet break in between lesson, so don't wait till recess.

Since our kids are the same age, do you mind if I put your link on my blog? Thanks

~AlanSal~ said...

hi Charmaine,

Thanks for visiting our blog.
And thanks for your advice too.
I don't know if the pri school our kids are going to will be like your daughter's school where they'll get to leave stuff in school. That'll be nice. :)

You're welcome to read my blog & share your thots, but I'd prefer not to be listed in your blogroll. Thanks for understanding. :)

 
web tracking