Last night, Sal and I decided to bring the kids to the book store -- Borders. We have a gift voucher and decided that it is time to put it to good use.
So, we had dinner @ NYDC Wheelock (a rare treat for the family). Unfortunately it was a terrible one. First, the waiter saw us beckoning him, nodded his head and turned around and went his own way to do his things. ??!!?? We tried to get their attention again and this time, we got the manager.
Secondly, the manager came, with a very unfriendly face - no smile, no welcome, no service excellence at all. Maybe he was pre-occupied with some matters in the kitchen. Fine, we'll let it go.
Thirdly, I found hair in my plate of roasted chicken pasta - a slightly curly one as a matter of fact. I only saw it after completing almost 3/4 of the plate and there it was, sticking out from the mashed roast chook. I called for the waitress, told her about it and asked her to take it away and she did - without apologies or anything and then went on her way. No apologies, no restitution, no damage control - just "oh, ok". ??!!??
And almost immediately, I heard someone from the next table, in her pizza calzone, that she too found a hair and the waitress (think was the same one), did the same. Our neighbour asked to see the manager immediately.
2 incidents of hair in food in 1 night! The manager apologised and informed us that NYDC will not charge the particular meal for our dinner. Whilst that's the minimum he can do, but it really left me wondering about the hygiene standard of the whole food preparation process @ NYDC Wheelock. I mean, we're not talking about coffee shop. We're talking about NYDC - paying premium price for a plate of roast chook pasta. And honestly, the food is nothing to boast about. I believe it is something we can whipped it up at home. One thing's for sure - that's the last time I'm heading to NYDC. I'll opt of the eatery opp NYDC - Big O @ Wheelock. We ate there once - albeit a long time ago and I had a good experience there.
The most maddening thing happened at Borders. It's a bookstore right? that's what all of us would expect. BUT when we were there, at the kids section, we saw 2 young adults - probably JC or Poly students necking out - right there where the kids are. And I thought - ok. I shan't say a word nor comment but before I turned away, I saw his hands going over - groped and grabbed her breast! Right in front of my eyes, in front of my kids - in full frontal view! Totally oblivious of the surroundings!
And boy - that's when I blew. I shouted at the top of my voice and everyone who was there - stopped and stared. Initially, both of them didn't know that I was shouting at them and I walked towards them and continued in my loud booming voice to tell them to stop what they were doing. Paraphrased - "Hey!!!! If you want to grab and fondle her breast and pet or do whatever you want to do - get out of the store. For goodness sake - this is a bookstore and this is the kid's section!"
Both of them finally realised that I was talking to them. And immediately they sat apart - looked down and didn't dare walk away - lest they be identified and be embarrassed by it. They stayed in that position for at least another 20-30 minutes.
This incident really disturbed me - at their audacity. I know times have changed and people are more liberal etc. But come on... at the bookstore, in the kid's section?!? And what's worse - my imagination ran wild! If they can do that in the open, what's stopping them behind closed doors?
As I was reflecting on this, it really scared the living daylights out of a father. Can I ever protect my daughter? How can I make sure that my son will treat a girl with respect? The reality is that as parents, there is simply no way we can be around our kids 24/7. We can only but entrust our kids to God, and do our best to raise them up to be God-fearing man and woman - so they know how to behave when no one is watching, so that they can think - about the consequences, about right and wrong, what's permissible and what is not, etc. Sal and I will never be able to watch them like a hawk. At some point in time, we will have to release them. But we pray that when the time comes, they will be grounded in the word of God and will not depart from it.
Sorry for the disturbing blog folks... ventilation on my part...
My Daddy nursing a bout of flu.
Broadway Musical MaMa Mia! is in Singapore
2 years ago
2 comments:
hey "my daddy"..
thanks for letting us feel whats in your heart in this post. even in this simple posting i am being 'mentored' by you :D
not Hann but Hann's Mummy said...
scary.
that's exactly how i feel when i see the students and their "madness" everyday in school.
I wonder what the parents do or not do that resulted in "these kids".
but then some1 said this to me, "most of the time, we blame the parents, the school, but we seldom blame the kid (for bad behaviour/attitude)"
I reckon as children of God, what we can do besides bringing the children up in the way and word of God is to pray and commit our children to him
Post a Comment