Thursday, July 31, 2008

AgapeLand will Cease Operation by End 2009 (or Even Earlier)

Yep! You read rightly. That's another headache for us and for the many parents whose kids are in AgapeLand.

Because of some future renovations at Adam, AgapeLand will be cease operations by end of 2009 - or earlier when the number of children has drastically reduced such that effective education is not possible.

So technically, though the commitment is to stay open until end of 2009, the school may close earlier. Any parent will start to wonder if the rest of the kids will stay. And so perhaps they may start to pull them out. Those in K1 (ie Joseph's class) may also start pulling them out so that they can continue their K2 education in another kindergarten. They've stopped accepting new students. The teachers may also start looking to work somewhere else. We're going to have a group of teachers and teacher aides and the aunties who clean and cooks - all out of a job by end 2009 (or earlier).

So it is a chicken and egg situation. Will the teachers go first - and therefore, the children will have no teachers or the kids will be transferred out and the teachers have no kids to teach? Which will happen first?

Sigh...

So now we are stuck in a rather bad situation, forced to start looking for a new childcare/ pre-school centre so that Joseph will continue his education.

As I was reflecting on the run up of events leading to the dreadful announcement and the letter which we received yesterday, I was very tempted to get into a blame game (I should have spoken up, I should have shut the other party down - especially when a couple of the parents have disappeared, I should have, I should have) etc.

But after thinking through, I thank God that this happened now than later. I thank God that the transition for us is reduced because meg's going to P1 (Can you imagine sending both to full day childcare and the amount of money we'd have to pay??!!??).
I thank God that this unfortunate event has given us a chance to expose Joseph to other forms of education - though I would have still preferred for my kids to have a Christian environment, and maybe in the new place, Joseph's phonics will get better, a better grasp and appreciation of the Chinese language (and not end up like his dad - a KanTang - who incidentally is having some problems trying to coach megan for her Chinese spelling. My word! The words are hard to write for K2!).

So I'm learning to see the good in the bad. And pray with Sally and myself as we start looking around at affordable pre-school centres in Bishan (full day or half day). Please pray that we'll have God's wisdom in this whole transition - Meg in P1, Joseph in new school? Sally going part time? Finances?

It's not going to be an easy few months ahead.

But I'm glad that we're not alone in this. I'm trusting God to see us through this. I'm always assured that God will work it out for those who love Him. However bad the situation is, there is a way out and it is only through God, only Jesus.

Blessings!
My Daddy.

2 comments:

Hann Hann said...

not Hann but Hann's Mummy said...
Hey neighbour,

Here's some christian kindergarten/childcare you may like to check out:
1. Ascension Kindergarten @ Pontong Pasir
http://www.ascension.org.sg/Kindergarten/KINDERGARTEN%20MISSION.htm
Cousin's daughter was there from Nursery. They're quite happy with the school.

2. Toa Payoh Methodist Church
No personal dealing with them.
Cousin said daughter's classmate didn't like it there, very disorganised, then changed to Ascension.
I heard positive comments from one other mum though.

3. St James' Church Kindergarten
(located somewhere between TCC and Holland)
http://www.sjck.org.sg/
no personal dealings. never heard anything.

4. YMCA Childcare
(got a few branches including Bishan, AMK, Stevens)
http://www.mymca.org.sg/childcare/main.htm
Heard positive comments.
No sure how christian are they though.

5. Eager Beaver Schoolhouse
(Yishun, Mt Faber, Telok Blangah)
Hann's with the one in Yishun.
They don't openly publicise themselves as a Christian school.
Boss and all Teachers are Christians.
They pray, say grace before meals.
Teachers are full of love.

~AlanSal~ said...

Hi!

Thanks for listing them out for us! We are looking for somewhere within Bishan, this will help me to pick Joseph and Megan up conveniently (since her school is in Bishan too).

We've visited some schools in the area, so am praying for us to make a godly decision soon.

Thanks again!

 
web tracking