Monday, February 02, 2009

"Children adapt very quickly..."

When we were still considering if we should change kindergarten for Joejoe, that's what most people told us. "Children adapt very quickly..." I'm not sure if that's the case for every child. Sometimes I think we overuse it, cos we're not really giving them a choice to start with, isn't it?

He has been in Agapeland since he was a chubby 18 month old toddler. We've just changed him to MYMCA at the turn of the year. I've been worried and kancheong about how he's coping. Will he make friends? Can he get used to his new teachers? Will he get used to the non air-con environment? What about the food, the bathing habits, the nap time and the swimming classes?

He took awhile to smile again. On the first day, he looked like he was gonna cry when we said goodbye. But he held back his tears. He didn't say, but I can tell he misses Agapeland. He found many new friends, but I know Keegan - the boy he knew since 18 months, still holds the "best buddy" title in his heart.

Today marks the end of the 1st month for him in MYMCA. I brought him to school at 930am, just in time for outdoor playtime. Once the car was parked, he hurried me to take him out of the car. He then ran to his friends who were shouting and waving his name. Before I knew it, he was pretending to be a tiger and hunting for his preys, chasing his classmates, making the girls shriek. haha... What a wonderful sight.


I visited him at his swimming class last week. This was after the "episode" two weeks ago. There is a boy with special needs in his class, T. The teacher told me, they call him a "global" boy - he suffers from a bit of a few childhood disorders. T lost his balance while in the pool during one of the lessons and grabbed the nearest person in front of him. That happened to be Joseph. They both went under the water. Joejoe told me he tried to stand up but he couldn't, cos T was on top of him. Thank God his teachers were alert. They grabbed the two of them up from the water. By then, Joejoe had drank a few gulps of pool water and turned slightly purple.

Since then, they have improved. From 1 coach to 8 kids, it's now 1 coach to 5. They've also included the services of a lifeguard. And he looked strict! One killer stare, the kids stop playing! haha...

I enjoyed watching him kick his little feet, holding onto his swimming board and swim from one side of the pool to the other. Besides a big grin on his face, he also had the sunned marks of his goggles. So cute.

Thank God for giving him a few good friends. Nigel, a "new" boy to MYMCA too - only two months before Joejoe, became his new buddy. I made friends with Nigel's mom too, and we're both glad our sons found each other...

God is good and faithful. To have watched over Joseph, blessing him with good friends, teachers, and for keeping him close under the shelter of His wings. Also wanna thank my good friends, Jo and Rosy. When we wavered and wondered if we made the right decisions, they affirmed us and prayed with us. There was not one time they were discouraging or distanced themselves from us cos of what we were going through. Thank you so much ladies, as always. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan and Sally,

I do not know you folks but i got to know of your blog through a friend of mine who is from your church.

Your blog has inspired my husband and I very much. Just reading them reminds me of God's grace and faithfulness and love over our lives. Your children are adorable and taught me a lot even by hearing stories about them.

Thank you for being real in a world where pp are afraid to show their true feelings.

God bless you and your family.

~AlanSal~ said...

Hi there! Thank you for your encouraging feedback and affirmation. You're welcome to leave comments whenever you visit! :) God bless you and family too.

 
web tracking