Monday, February 09, 2009

Quality Time

I'm thankful for the extra time I get to spend with the kids. Especially the mornings with Megan. This time we have passes very quickly. I have to constantly remind myself not to turn on the TV and not to log on to the internet. I put my alarm at 1130am everyday, cos that's the time I remind myself that she should be having her lunch, I should have packed her recess snack and be getting ready for work myself. I've gotten carried away on a couple of occasions and only realised how behind time we were after 12nn!

In the mornings that we share, I've instituted a couple of routines. Besides no tv, we take a few mornings in a week to sweat it out at Bishan Active. Nothing strenuous, just walking, stretching, chasing. Good fun. I squeeze a cup of OJ for her when we get home. Valencia Oranges are really juicy and sweet! Love 'em! (That's helped her with her bowel movements too.) Everyone monday, we plan the whole week of programme with each other. This high C side of her must be from me. She enjoys planning and being pre-empted on what plans we have, who we'll be having dinner with, etc.

Then she gets down to do homework (if she has any) or a chapter of an assessment book (English, MT, Math on different days). Too academic? Not when she enjoys it. :) Much as I agree that schoolwork these days are more difficult, I'm intrigued at the way they help kids like Megan think and learn on many levels to find answers. And yes, most of the time she gets her answers wrong due to careless mistakes. I was like that too! Now I understand my mom's frustrations! :P

Then we get ready to head out. But before I send her to school, we park at the side entrance of the school and over there, we will find our usual spot - a nice shady, windy spot with a bench. So for 15 minutes before I see my baby walk into the schoolhall with her big pink backpack, we cuddle and make each other laugh. We watch the ice-cream uncle scold children who jump queues. We see domestic helpers catching up excitedly with their highpitched voices. We wave to her classmates when they walk past us. And after that time, she'll carry her own bag and march in for another day of school.

I still get emotional watching her walk away from me, sometimes. It's not that I am anxious about anything. I just feel sad watching her walk away. Haha, now I know how my mom felt each time she sent me away at the airport. Yes, yes. Now I know.


2 comments:

Fi Oh Na! said...

Hey Sally!

Ur such a wonderful & awesome mother to Megan!

When the time (ever) comes4me to be a mom, u must share yr fountain of wisdom wif me ok?

Continue to savour & enjoy such intimate & heartwarming moments wif yr gal. It's so cool! :)

~AlanSal~ said...

Hi Fi,

Thanks. :) Learning day by day too. Yeah, sure, when your time is here, I'll be most glad to share more with you and your hubby. :)

 
web tracking