Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Day at the Jurong Bird Park

As part of the Staff Welfare initiatives, my statutory board signed up for membership with the Jurong Bird Park, though I'd wish it was the Singapore Zoo or Night Safari haha. But no complaining (should switch my watch to my left hand for complaining). The pass grants the whole family of 4 free entry to the park! And I should be thankful for that.

Anyway, it's been eons since I visited the JBP. I think it might have been the 2nd for the kids (school excursion for their first). I'd have to admit that I was not very enthusiastic about the JBP. What's there to see right? Ladies and Gentlemen, on your right - birds. On your left - birds. Coming up, more birds. And you just passed another flight of birds. Birds everywhere!

So I booked the pass and brought the whole family to the JBP and I'd have to say that we did enjoy the park. Our impression and memories of the JBP changed.

We saw penguins - different types of penguins such as RockHopper Penguins, King Penguins and Humboldt Penguins. The Humboldt Penguins were jumping in and out of water - like what you'd have watched in Happy Feet. The rest were stoning - and the scene of Batman and Penguin came to my mind haha

We saw owls - again different types of owls. The biggest Barn Owls we've ever seen and they are BIG. BooHoo BooHoo... sounds cute right? But they are actually rather intimidating.

We saw eagles - many types of eagles. In fact, we saw one feasting on a mouse, ripping the flesh off bit by bit. And we saw the vulture and the bald headed eagle. The nest (according to the write up) can go up to 3.4x2.4m. And when we were there, we saw the eagle spreading out it's wings and boy do they look majestic! And immediately Isaiah 40:31 came to my mind. I finally saw it with my eyes.

The kids had the opportunity to feed the ostrich - the big male one called Oscar. Their diet - bananas! And their eyes - size of a tennis ball! Can you imagine that?

We sat through 2 Bird shows - the Parrot Show as well as the Birds and Buddies show... The host of the show, Elim (I think I got her name right) was terrific - even though the parrot/macaw played her out. Joe bravely volunteered... and got us a free drink haha... here's a picture.













We also walked through the World's Largest Lory Flight Aviary. You can buy a cup of feed (nectar mixture) for $3, head to the feeding tower and walk on the suspended bridge and feed the Lories. Unfortunately I was unable to get a good shot of the Lories. If you want to see the beautiful and colourful birds, check them out in the link above.






The kids also learnt about the different types of nests birds built for their babies. Check this one out.






There was even a small play area for aspiring paleontologist. Look at Sally and the kids looking for dinosaur bones. Haha...






















The outing to the JBP was truly a good experience. I got to spend time with the family. I kept my promise to my son - that I'll spend the afternoon with him and bring him to the JBP. And yes I saw many birds but one thing I left with - the God I serve is such a creative God! Our Creator God who is the Great I AM created all these birds with just one word. As I walked in the Lory Loft, my senses were bursting from all the "noise" and the bright colours. I walked away breathless and in awe. God is just so awesome and creative. Speechless.

So if you've not been to Jurong Bird Park lately, I encourage you to give it a shot. We did not complete the park (even though it is not very big unlike the Zoo) and we will be back again. Afterall, I can get the free passes again :-)

No comments:

 
web tracking