Sunday, April 05, 2009

TOYS

Ever since our church listed Ben-10 as one of the undesirable toys to play with, linking it to the likes of witchcraft, we had been trying very hard to help Joseph understand why one of his favourite toys would be displeasing to God. What our children's ministry teaches the children was that this cartoon series feature Ben (the protagonist of the show) owning a device he wears on his wrist like a watch, called the Omnitrix. This device gives him the ability to transform into many many different kinds of aliens and thus giving him power to defeat aliens/monster/creatures of different kinds.

Before we were told of this, Joseph enjoyed watching the cartoon on Cartoon Network. We usually screen the TV the kids watch, and there were episodes that were too violent and/or in my opinion, scary - that's when we would told him he couldn't watch. He owned an Omnitrix - a watch with super cool SFX and when you slid it open, it became a cool handphone. He owned 2 of the aliens, DiamondHead and FourArms. He would play with them like he would with his toy soldiers or stuffed animals. He would imagine he is Ben and pretend to protect mommy with his omnitrix. But I don't think there was once he was hoping an external power would possess him and change him into something obscene.

Sigh. He cried when he first saw the words "Ben-10" listed under the witchcraft list. We really feel for him. Cos we do feel that he has been responsible in his play with this series of toys. But yet, we didn't want him to be more confused with the difference in teachings at home and in DL. We explained on many occasions why he shouldn't watch the cartoons anymore or pretend that he is Ben anymore. It was truly difficult.

Check out this picture I took of him when we last went to Toys 'r' Us.


I found him missing and went to find him. I found him squatting at the Ben-10 section, looking longingly at all the packaged aliens. He was trying so hard not to touch them - not that we had forbidded him to do that. But in his little mind, he was trying his best to be obedient to the God he loves. Thinking that if he had touched them, he would be displeasing God. In my heart, I wanted to tell him that it was ok... But I knew it was better for me not to. I knew this is a good and rare opportunity to teach him that "obedience is better than sacrifice". And at that very moment, I am PROUD of my little guy. :)

3 comments:

lightbulb said...

So heart pain and yet so proud of his obedience! You know and God knows his little heart.

~AlanSal~ said...

Thanks Sarah! Yeah, proud of him and I'm sure God will reward him. Hope he'll find his next favourite toy real soon!

rach said...

yeah, so proud of him :)

 
web tracking