We've been having some real problems with the mynahs in the neighbourhood. I can't say that we are bird-lovers in any way, but up until now, the only times we find them a nuisance is when they do their "thing" on our car (especially when we've just washed it). But for the last few months, these mynahs have been making their intrusion into our home from our kitchen window.
In the beginning, we didn't catch the bird in action, we couldn't explain why the fruits and food placed openly in the kitchen would sometimes be scattered over the floor. Or why there would sometimes be poo (different from the usual household pests' ones) on the kitchen counter. GROSS.
Eventually, the mynahs (dunno if it's more than one bird or always the same one) started to linger longer! ARGH. I even witnessed it in my kitchen a couple of times. It used to be scared when I clapped, screamed or shoo-ed them. Not long after, it was no longer scared! I had to close my kitchen windows 24/7. Even if I had the window opened only to about 2 inches big, it can perch on the window ledge and stick its beak in!
I wrote to Town Council, who referred me to the NEA (National Environment Agency) and asked if they performed culling exercises for these birds. They replied (rather quickly) that they checked with the eateries near my area and found everything ok! Gosh. On my 2nd complaint, they replied to say they will be coming for a culling exercise soon.
Ok. I was hopeful.
Then when I was lamenting to some friends, they said that mynahs don't get culled! It's the crows that are culled. Not sure what's the difference?
CROW
MYNAH
Out of sheer desperation, this was what we got.
An inflatable plastic bird!!! It has worked! Of course, we dunno how long it'll serve it's purpose. But for now, it is a lifesaver! Thank God!
Broadway Musical MaMa Mia! is in Singapore
2 years ago
2 comments:
haha! that's ingenius!!! =)
hahaha, hilarious!!! cool idea!!
Post a Comment