Monday, August 27, 2007

If there're seasons ~ 天冷就回来

When was the last time you watched a show and was totally immersed in the life it was portraying? One where you totally forgot about the fact that you are a spectator, that you are watching a show, but where you were flawlessly transported into the scenes together with the protagonists?


Last saturday, my sis treated mom and I to watch our very first Chinese Musical "天冷就回来" - "If there're seasons". And it was GREAT. For the two hours that followed, we were immersed in the wonderful beautiful world of Ah Le, Ah Qiang, Xiao Jing and Rose. What made it so special, was the fact that all the songs performed in there were familiar songs written by 梁文福 (Liang Wern Fook). Beloved songs that brought back precious memories of the past. Songs like "让夜轻轻落下", "恋之憩", "喜欢你", "久久才见到你的好", "说时依旧", "如果你不小心想起我" Just only to name a few. Songs that make you laugh, make you cry, make you sad, make you proud. :) Beautiful songs.

More importantly, as I watched, I realised how much I love his writings. He so effortlessly (or so at least it seems) entwines characters, phrases, sounds, meanings together to make his pieces so close to hearts. There is a story behind each song, and as I was busy absorbing the new story presented in front of me, I was also relishing the stories that were reliving on their own in my mind.

The singers/performers were so good! George Chan (best known for his role as a judge on "the dance floor") was so convincing in his role as Ah Le, he made me tear on a few occasions. The pain he had for a love lost to death, his struggle to accept a new love as he reluctantly understands the need to move on. He was so meticulous in his portrayal of his character, I almost feel that I've known him for a long time and had walked with him through his journey. My impression of a gregarious effeminate dancing teacher was totally transformed as he belted out song after song with his impressive baritone voice and faultless Chinese enunciation, complete with tears in his eyes for some and a bashful resonance for others.

Alan's heard me talk so much about it, he also wants to go and watch! But the tics are ALL sold out!
The next run would be in 2009, but I think you might not get the same cast again. So tempted to get the CDs! But they're a tad exp at $59!

SIGH. Call me Cheena. But I really enjoyed this musical!!! THANKS Yiyi for the treat!
Love it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy our girls' outing turned out well and we all enjoyed the show ;-) Keke...i actually prayed that we would =p

Guess to a certain extent, those songs mean different things to Ma, you and me, wrapped in our own memories and stories. That's the amazing thing about music and songs...thank GOD for the gift of music. ;-)

And of course, there are so few ppl who can watch this sort of Cheena show and be able to feel and understand the poignancy and quixotism of the Chinese language and lyrics and dialogue...e.g. 不思量,自难忘...wah, six characters only but the imagery is powerful.

*yay yay, i love it that i'm cheena! haha...*

Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry I think I left out some words just now...I meant to say, there are so few ppl I can ask to go watch Cheena shows with me; not that there are so few in the world who can understand. Hahaha...the latter can be misconstrued to be some elitist statement...=P

 
web tracking