It's been two years since I served God. :)
When I made the move to step away from ministry (at that time it was leading the Spouses Cell as well as being a part of the worship team), it was a painful decision. Old friends of mine would have heard me say that I don't quite like to be identified only as "Alan the worship leader's wife". I believe in having a ministry myself. The shift in this priority was put in action when our priorities shifted. The kids needed me to be around whole-heartedly. I struggled with not being able to fulfil my roles as a mother and as a leader. That translated to frustration, discontentment, and a complaining heart.
I objected having my kids attend more than one nursery service in one weekend, not because they wanted to, but because we needed to have them somewhere while we busied ourselves in the house of God. I felt tremendously bad having them take naps on the floors of the church (on mats of cos) while I attended important leaders' meetings. We didn't have family time on weekends cos I gave them what's left of my energy and attention. It felt terrible. They would often be the earliest in church (for worship prac) and the latest to leave (cos our car would be stuck in the carpark). Our marriage suffered cos of the constant quarrels about who should step away and who's ministry is more important.
Not trying to sound boastful or sacrificial- but yup, we agreed that I should step down. My role was changed to an "inactive leader" role and I wasn't required to attend meetings anymore cos my pastors understand that I need to be with my children. We saw our children happier cos they now attend nursery because it's fun, not because they were alternatives to childcare while daddy and mommy served God. Alan continued in his ministry, in worship as well as in CCSS. We miss him much when he is not around. But at least the kids have me. They don't ask questions like "Why is Daddy in church again?" We quarrelled much lesser (at least not about this! :P ) and the joy of serving Him returned.
Two years on. I've been praying about starting to serve again.
And I did! I started in Nursery. I didn't know where to start, I just knew that I wanted to start somewhere and Nursery would be somewhere I can contribute... I am afterall a mother of two! :P
I wanted to take time out on Sat evenings (which is the time I'm usually just nua-ing at home) and I wanted to bring Megan along with me. After getting all the neccessary approval, yup! I started.
I now serve the kids in Nursery 3 (2.5 to 4 years old) twice a month. It's tiring. But it's fun. I get to serve God with my little helper in tow. She's enjoying the time she gets to spend with the other little children (she loves kids) and showing them how to worship God, how to play nicely and how to remember their power words.
In Nov, I'll get to start tell bible stories. haha... sounds so trivial, I know. But yup, it's exciting to me. :P
Thank You Lord, for the precious opportunity to serve You again. I am grateful. :)
Broadway Musical MaMa Mia! is in Singapore
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment