Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Thirty-Six!

Alan turned one year older on Monday. :) As usual, we both took leave to chill... and this year, I planned our events of the day.

First up, I wanted to bring him to his favourite Char Kway Teow stall at Bedok South food centre. Thanks to John who patiently showed me on the directory how to get there, we found that place! (Bedok's not quite our territory, you see!) But dismay of dismays, it was closed! Its restday is Monday! Oh well... we sorta settled on the yummy prawn noodles. The uncle was really quick-handed as he made our noodles (there was already a queue at 930 in the morn!), altho I must say that he can be neater lah! At one point when he was grabbing the yellow noodles, he realised that he left his cannister of pepper in the pile too! haha...




From Bedok, we drove in our trusty little Airwave to Keppel Bay. When JT prosposed to DL, he raved about the place and how romantic it is. Well, I had to see it for myself! So we drove to http://www.marinakeppelbay.com/index.asp This is place is wonderful! There was hardly anyone around, probably a gardener or two, and a jogger. We had the nicest stroll, thanking God for a nice breeze, laughing at people's cheesy choice of names for yachts :P We wonder if we would ever own one ourselves and what we would name it! haha... It was great... and free!




Ooh, then came the highlight of the day! Thanks to the blessings from JingEn and Rach, we had two complimentary coupons to two 30mins sessions @ Kampong Fish Therapy @ Novena Ville. The thought of it for me to be fish-food was pretty squeamish. We decided to try anyway. It was quite an experience! I'm not the least bit friendly with animals, I don't like to be near them. So to be eaten "alive" like this was kinda scary to me!

Service is really nice and down-to-earth. The Malay lady who tended to us patiently answered my list of FAQs, "so do you still feed the fish or do they just eat people's skin?", "is it painful and ticklish?", "I'm scared, how?" She gently washed our legs and feet with soap before we went to the pool filled with what-must-have-been 500-ish (or more!) fishes! I must admit I was quite an embarrassment - I screamed and screamed. Alan submerged his legs right in from the beginning. I started with just my heels. And boy, were the fishes hungry!!! They literally charged at us!

The feeling was ticklish, esp when they nibbled at the soles. Then it felt kinda tingly- like pinches. But after about 5ish mins, I don't quite feel anything anymore, except the occasional pinches. They were nibbling with their lips - these little doctor fishes! Apparently as they nibble at your dead skin, they exude some kinda of enzyme that helps healing, esp for ezcema patients. They even have a pool for people to lie all the way in to be eaten alive!


Halfway through the chewing process, the lady came and scrubbed our feet with a pedicure tool to smoothen those hardened skin on the soles of our feet. And back into the pool our legs went. Only after 15 mins, we lifted our legs to the disappointment of the still-hungry fishes. And we had a nice peppermint lotion lathered on our legs. I kid you not, our feet felt really smooth!!! All in all, it was a cool experience. I might go again, if I have company! Maybe a mommies day out? ;) And yes, this is despite the recent report on Texas banning the fish spas!










Okay, after this, we went ahead to indulge further at our usual Javanese House of Traditional Massage. We both had a one hour body massage. Gosh, how we needed that! Lots of cracks we heard! :) Then, we were finally hungry again. Treated ourselves to yummy and affordable laksa and meesiam at Ritz Strudel shop - yup, besides their strudels, these two dishes were pretty authentic too!



After heading home for a shower (so that we don't leave oily patches wherever we sat), we drove to Serangoon to pick up a cake I ordered online to surprise Alan. After reading about it so much in EdUnloaded (thanks Ed!), I was truly happy Little Foot Patisserie accepted my last minute order (he usually requires 2 weeks advanced order) for a durian decadence. It was GR8! Like I told Little Foot, we are serious durian lovers. And we seldom can find durian products that can suit our durian palette. And this cake is wonderful! Looks gr8, taste is light, not too sweet, and full of the fragrance and flavour of the fruit! Highly Recommended for only $38!



What a day!
He enjoyed himself, that was the most important thing. And I got to enjoy it together with him.
Happy Birthday Dear!





6 comments:

D said...

wow really look like a nice relaxing enjoyable day! the cake really look like durian too..haha.

Fi Oh Na! said...

Aaaww..what a sweet & romantic way to spend Alan's special day as a couple!

How blessed the both of you are! :)

Ed or Edmund Tay said...

Happy Belated Bdae Alan!

Welcome to the 36ers club!

Glad u liked the cake. So glad that u and sally had a great day!

Hann Hann said...

not hann but Hann's Mummy said...

My sister's been jio-ing me to go for the fish thingy but i've yet to go.

the last time we went sentosa, Hann said he wanted to try...

what do you think?

rach said...

woh, sal, u looked REALi squeamish at the fish spa from the pics, as if ur feet will be gone after the treatment haha!surprise surprise tat u'll wanna go back there!

My Daddy said...

Many thanks everybody! It's going to be a year of new beginnings!

 
web tracking