Monday, December 01, 2008

Reflections of My In Camp Training

I'm back from my In Camp Training. On all accounts, given the fact that this is my very first in camp, it has been a fruitful one.

1. Bizarre as it sounds, I somewhat had some fun being a part of the exercise. There's a very reasonable amount of not knowing what to do with time... (think we know what we're talking about), but I was also presented with a good amount of time where I can build relationships and get to know my new army buddies. The exercise also hit me with 1 important lesson. While we were going through the exercise, we were talking about numbers - digits. I'm not going to go into details - not the platform to be morbid but you can put on your imagination. Perhaps its occupational hazard. I don't see digits. I was thinking about the lives that are behind the numbers. 1 Brigade/Battalion/Company of men - who have their families, wives, children, extended families, siblings. Lives that matter to God.

2. Because of the reasonable amount of "time" I had, I had lots of coffee sessions and in particular, God presented me with various opportunities to share and talk about Jesus to my new found friend - sharing with him how God was real, my testimony, what Jesus did on the cross etc. My new found friend L said - "Alan, you are very convincing and persuasive but...". He was obviously not comfortable talking about God... and in his own funny way, tried to siam... but God just didn't let up. Haha. Anyway, I didn't push it too hard. I know God has deposited the seed in him. I'm the sower in this instance. I certainly hope I can be the reaper too. I'll be meeting him up for coffee again soon - to talk about him sowing into CCSS. So, my friends, please keep my friend L in prayer and continue to keep me in prayer so that I can be a vessel for God's mercy and goodness and love be shown. Also bugged another one and I'm inviting him to church, for the Christmas party. :-)

3. I finished a book and a half again. And I highly recommend this book The Shack.

The Shack is about Mack - his journey to God through pain. His youngest daughter Missy has been abducted during a camping trip and the evidences point to the possibility of her being murdered. 4 years later, in the midst of Mack's Great Sadness, on a wintery morning, Mack got a note in the postbox, apparently from God, inviting him to the very place - the Shack, where Missy's bloody dress was found. The note reads -

"Mackenzie, It's been a while. I've missed you. I'll be at the shack next weekend if you want to get together. -- Papa"

Was this a sick joke? And no one else apart from Mack, knew that his wife, Nan calls God - Papa. Well, you guessed it - Mack went to the Shack and there, his life was changed forever.

It changed my life too. I'm totally blown away by this book. It challenged my understanding and concept of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It brought me face to face with Love. It brought me to the Cross. I experienced the pain Mack felt (for obvious reasons - I have a daughter almost same age as Missy). I felt anger. I asked the same Why questions. I can't recall how many times I cried out to God as I read the book. It almost brought me to tears - I stopped myself obviously (I was in the camp with many Crabs and Choc Bars around me). I dog-eared many pages of the book, with the intent of revisiting the pages again, as a matter of fact, I think I'm going to re-read the book a 2nd or 3rd time. It is a book that you have to own. I know it will change your life just as it changed mine. I do believe it spilled over to the weekend worship service I was leading. So my friends, I hope I've wet your appetite sufficiently. I'm a reader and I encourage you to pick up this book and read. I won't be lending this copy away. Sorry mate. You can get it at Popular and Pop members get 20% off. Happy reading. Btw, I just read that they're working on a full length feature film and I'm looking forward to it - as I was reading, I was just visualising the whole movie.

4. This is also an ICT that I missed out on my family a fair bit. I see the kids for a short while in the morning and when I get home, they're already in bed. My poor wife has been holding the fort. Thank you honey! Now I'm smarter. I'll take the night shift. At least I'll have dinner with the family before I head back to camp. So, next in camp, I'll probably volunteer for night shift. :-) So, today I'm on leave to clean up the house, set up the Christmas Tree (that the kids have been bugging me for) and try and cook up a meal for the family.

5. I have no words to describe the new SAF uniform. Beyond words. I saw a regular wearing it. But apparently it camo-s better. But none of my mates are looking forward to the new uniform. I'm not sure how is SAF going to issue that to us but I burned my credits with a new pair of Gortex boots, which is definitely more comfortable then my pair - last used 10 years ago. Good investment.

Oh well... i'm just glad that I'm back. Hope to see you guys around soon. Till then have a great and blessed week.

My Daddy checking out.

No comments:

 
web tracking